A little bit about the History of The Heads Head heritage
The Hind’s Head Inn is located in the small hamlet of Welch Whittle and although it has been known by that name for the last 140 years or so it was originally called the Dicconson Arms in the early 1800’s and then the Welch Whittle Stock’s tavern in the mid-1800’s
The links between the Dicconson family and the eventual renaming of the pub to the Hind’s Head are revealed below: –
Dicconson of Wrightington coat of arms
A cross quarter – pierced between four hinds’ heads erased vert two crosslets fitchy in pale and as many escallops in fesse of the field.
We have named one of our rooms after our link to the Dicconson family.
Our other rooms are also named after links to the past and local community.
Welch Whittle after the little hamlet we are located in within Charnock Richard.
Darlington after the local family who had a huge influence within the local history of Charnock Richard and who built the local Parish Church. A must visit whilst here in the area.
Dicconson after our link to the family who built the current Hinds Head
Gray this is named after the Landlord and Lady who presided here James Gray (1838-1859), Rebecca Gray (1859-1871) according to local records
Fairhurst after a Mrs. Fairhurst Landlady in the 1920’s
We decided to do this as a mark of respect to the past as we are proud of our history and its links to the local community.